Massachusetts Instititute of Technology
PhD in Nuclear Science and Engineering, 2019
MSc in Mechanical Engineering, 2014
Universidad Politéchnica de Madrid
Equivalent to BSc and MSc in Industrial & Energy Engineering
• Del Favero Doctoral Thesis Prize for most innovative thesis in the field, MIT Nuclear Science and Engineering, Dec 2019
• Young Engineer Early Career Achievement Award, Alumni Association ETSII-UPM, Jun 2018
• Manson Benedict Award for Academic Excellence and Professional Promise. MIT Nuclear Science and Engineering, May 2018
• MIT International Science and Technology Initiatives (MISTI) Scholarship, MIT MISTI program, May 2018
• Award for the Best Student in Industrial and Energy Engineering (two awards), ETSII-UPM, Dec 2015
• Repsol Award for the Best Master's Thesis Project, Cátedra Repsol ETSII-UPM, Dec 2015
• Caja Ingenieros Award for Excellent Academic Progress, Caja Ingenieros UPM, Dec 2015
• La Caixa Fellowship for graduate studies in North America, Banking Foundation la Caixa, Jul 2014
• Excellence in Performance Award, Drexel University, Jun 2014
• ERASMUS Scholarship for graduate studies, European Union & Government of Spain, Apr 2014
• Enrique Rodríguez-Marín Award for Excellent Academic Progress, Romanillos Foundation, Mar 2014
• Award for Excellent Academic Progress (received twice), Government of Madrid, Jan 2014 & Jan 2011
• Atlantis Fellowship for Graduate Studies, EAGLES Consortium, FIPSE U.S. & European Union, Apr 2013
• High-Performing Student Award, ETSII-UPM, Dec 2011
• Award for the Best Results in the University Entrance Test, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Mar 2010
Plasma Science and Fusion Center (PSFC), Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Cambridge (USA) May 2019 – present Postdoctoral Associate
▪ Contributed to development of physics basis of SPARC (collaboration MIT-CFS) via integrated modeling for device optimization.
▪ Studied turbulence and transport in ASDEX Upgrade and DIII-D tokamaks via advanced algorithms and perturbative techniques.
Plasma Science and Fusion Center (PSFC), Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Cambridge, (USA) Sept. 2015 – May 2019 Research Assistant (Ph.D. candidate)
▪ Resolved 20-year-old question in fusion research, resulting in a high-impact publication in Physical Review Letters.
▪ Conducted experiments in Alcator C-Mod and DIII-D tokamaks. Operated Laser Blow-Off system in Alcator C-Mod during 2016.
▪ Summer stay at General Atomics for the study of heat-pulses on DIII-D and power balance analysis in negative triangularity.
▪ Summer stay at Max-Planck-Institut für Plasmaphysik for the implementation of VITALS tool to study ASDEX Upgrade plasmas.
Laboratory of Fluid Machines, Politecnico di Milano - Milan (Italy) Sept. 2014 – May 2015 Research Fellow
▪ Optimized Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC) turbine stage, resulting in half pressure losses compared to original designs.
▪ Developed automatic shape-optimization tool for turbomachinery blades using evolutionary strategies and surrogate models.
Drexel University - Philadelphia, PA (USA) January 2014 – June 2014 Research Assistant (M.Sc. candidate)
▪ Investigated CO2 decomposition through micro-scale non-thermal plasma discharges via CFD simulations
P Rodriguez-Fernandez, A E White, N T Howard, B A Grierson, L Zeng, X Yuan, G M Staebler, M E Austin, T Odstrcil, T L Rhodes, F Sciortino, J E Rice, K Thome, C Angioni, E Fable and O Meneghini, "Predict-first Experiments and Modeling of Perturbative Cold Pulses in the DIII-D Tokamak", Phys. Plasmas 26, 062503 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5096800
P Rodriguez-Fernandez , A E White, N T Howard, B A Grierson, X Yuan, G M Staebler, J E Rice, C Angioni, N M Cao, A J Creely, E Fable, M J Greenwald, A E Hubbard, J W Hughes, J H Irby and F Sciortino, "Perturbative Transport Modeling of Cold-Pulse Dynamics in Alcator C-Mod Ohmic Plasmas", Nucl. Fusion 59, 066017 (2019) https://doi.org/10.1088/1741-4326/ab1575
P Rodriguez-Fernandez, A E White, N T Howard, J E Rice, F Sciortino, N M Cao, A J Creely, M J Greenwald, A E Hubbard, J W Hughes, J H Irby, X Yuan, B A Grierson, G M Staebler, C Angioni and E Fable, "Modeling of Cold-Pulse Propagation and Associated Phenomena in Tokamak Plasmas", Proceedings of 27th IAEA Fusion Energy Conference (Gandhinagar), IAEA-CN-258 EX/10-3.
P Rodriguez-Fernandez, A E White, N T Howard, B A Grierson, G M Staebler, J E Rice, X Yuan, N M Cao, A J Creely, M J Greenwald, A E Hubbard, J W Hughes, J H Irby and F Sciortino, "Explaining cold-pulse dynamics in tokamak plasmas using local turbulent transport models", Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 075001 (2018). http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.120.075001
P Rodriguez-Fernandez, A E White, A J Creely, M J Greenwald, N T Howard, F Sciortino and J C Wright, "VITALS: A surrogate-based optimization framework for the accelerated validation of plasma transport codes", Fusion Technol. 74:1-2, 65-76 (2018). http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15361055.2017.1396166
P Rodriguez-Fernandez, J E Rice, N M Cao, A J Creely, N T Howard, A E Hubbard, J H Irby and A E White, "On the correlation between "non-local" effects and intrinsic rotation reversals in Alcator C-Mod", Nucl. Fusion 57, 074001 (2017). http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1741-4326/aa6e89
P Rodriguez-Fernandez and G Persico, "Automatic design of ORC turbine profiles using evolutionary algorithms", ASME ORC 3rd Int'l Seminar on ORC Power Systems, Brussels (Belgium), Oct 2015. http://bit.ly/2ZqGcZx
C Angioni, E Fable, F Ryter, P Rodriguez-Fernandez and T Putterich, "The local nature of the plasma response to cold pulses with electron and ion heating at ASDEX Upgrade", Nucl. Fusion 59, 106007 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1088/1741-4326/ab313f
N M. Cao, J E Rice, P H Diamond, A E White, S G Baek, M A Chilenski, J W Hughes, J Irby, M L Reinke, P Rodriguez-Fernandez and the Alcator C-Mod Team, "Hysteresis as a Probe of Turbulent Bifurcation in Intrinsic Rotation Reversals on Alcator C-Mod" Nucl. Fusion (2019). https://doi.org/10.1088/1741-4326/ab3b38
A J Creely, P Rodriguez-Fernandez, G D Conway, S J Freethy, N T Howard, A E White and the ASDEX Upgrade Team, "Criteria for the Importance of Multi-scale Interactions in Plasma Turbulent Transport Simulations", Plasma Phys. Control. Fusion 61, 085022 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6587/ab24ae
R A Tinguely, A Rosenthal, R Simpson, S B Ballinger, A J Creely, S Frank, A Q Kuang, B L Linehan, W McCarthy, L M Milanese, K J Montes, T Mouratidis, J F Picard, P Rodriguez-Fernandez, A J Sandberg, F Sciortino, E A Tolman, M Zhou, B N Sorbom, Z S Hartwig and A E White, "Neutron Diagnostics for the Physics of a High-Field, Compact, Q≥1 Tokamak", Fusion Eng. Des. 143, pp. 212-225 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fusengdes.2019.03.148
G Persico, P Rodriguez-Fernandez and A Romei, "High-Fidelity Shape-Optimization of Non-Conventional Turbomachinery by Surrogate Evolutionary Strategies", ASME. J. Turbomach. 141(8), 081010-081010-11 (2019) http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.4043252
J Rice, F Rosmej, N Cao, M Chilenski, N Howard, A Hubbard, J Hughes, J Irby, Y Lin, P Rodriguez-Fernandez, S Wolfe, S Wukitch, M Bitter, L Delgado-Aparicio, K Hill and M Reinke, "X-ray Observations of Kβ Emission from Medium Z He-like Ions in C-Mod Tokamak Plasmas", J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys. 51, 035702 (2018). http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1361-6455/aaa17f
N T Howard, C Holland, A E White, M J Greenwald, P Rodriguez-Fernandez, J Candy and A J Creely, "Multi-scale gyrokinetic simulations of an Alcator C-Mod, ELM-y H-mode plasma", Plasma Phys. Control. Fusion 60, 014034 (2017). http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1361-6587/aa9148
A J Creely, N T Howard, P Rodriguez-Fernandez, N Cao, A E Hubbard, J W Hughes, J E Rice, A E White, J Candy, G M Staebler, G D Conway, S J Freethy and C Sung, "Validation of nonlinear gyrokinetic simulations of L- and I- mode plasmas on Alcator C-Mod", Phys. Plasmas 24, 0.56104 (2017). http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4977466
B LaBombard, A Q Kuang, D Brunner, I Faust, R Mumgaard, M L Reinke, J L Terry, N Howard, J W Hughes, M Chilenski, Y Lin, E Marmar, J E Rice, P Rodriguez-Fernandez, G Wallace, D G White, S Wolfe and S Wukitch, "Impurity screening behavior of the highfield side scrape-off layer in near-double-null configurations: prospect for mitigating plasma-material interactions on RF actuators and first-wall components", Nucl. Fusion 57, 076021 (2017). http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1741-4326/aa6dd2
2nd International Conference of Data Driven Plasma Science, Marseille (France), May 13-17 2019. "Surrogate-Based Optimization Techniques for the Validation of Plasma Transport Models"
ITPA Transport and Confinement Topical Group Meeting Spring 2019, Austin (TX), Mar 25-27 2019. "Multi-machine study of coldpulse dynamics: Towards a local model for the temperature inversion effect".
60th Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Plasma Physics, Portland (OR), Nov 5-9 2018. "Understanding cold-pulse dynamics in tokamak plasmas using local turbulent transport models".
27th IAEA Fusion Energy Conference, Gandhinagar (India), Oct 22-27 2018. "Explaining cold-pulse dynamics in tokamak plasmas using local turbulent transport models".
23rd Joint EU-US Transport Task Force Meeting, Sevilla (Spain), Sep 11-14 2018. "Modeling of cold-pulse dynamics in Alcator C-Mod and DIII-D: A local turbulent transport approach".
US Transport Task Force Workshop, San Diego (CA), May 8-1 2018."Prediction of cold-pulse dynamics in tokamak plasmas using quasilinear turbulent transport models".
ITPA Transport and Confinement Topical Group Meeting Spring 2018, Daejeon (Republic of Korea), Apr 9-11 201. "An introduction to VITALS: surrogate models to accelerate transport model validation".
ITPA Transport and Confinement Topical Group Meeting Spring 2018, Daejeon (Republic of Korea), Apr 9-11 201. "Modeling coldpulse propagation in Alcator C-Mod plasmas using TGLF". Oth